Tuesday, September 23, 2008

The Bible

Jeremiah 9:23-24 This is what the LORD says: "Let not the wise boast of their wisdom or the strong boast of their strength or the rich boast of their riches, but let those who boast boast about this: that they understand and know me..." And how do we know him? Well, reading the Bible is a pretty good way. The Bible is our source and authority and one of the primary ways we know God. Only 4% of people read their Bibles daily - there are more Christians than that. (Ok, so I don't know where that stat is from - Those last two sentences were from my class notes from this past weekend, and I wrote 'blog this!' beside them...) I've been reading through the Canadian Bible Society's Daily Bible Reading Guide this year, and recommend it as a really great way to read every day - you get a chapter or managable amount each day, and it works through much of the Bible, moving around through it. I like that I don't have to decide what to read next or what system to use. I usually read it out loud while the kid eats breakfast; sometime we talk about it, sometimes not. But it's routine, and it's a good habit. God promises that his Word will not return void. Reading it means I am more likely to hide it in my heart and actually live by it. On the link above you'll find three options to get this reading guide. They can send you daily emails with the Scripture for the day, you can download and print off the reading list, or you can ask them to send you a guide to use. I will look into getting some to have on hand, and get a bunch of 2009 ones, too, in time for us all to start off the new year on the right foot together. Please add a comment if you want to commit to reading the Bible every day, or if you already do - maybe it will encourage someone else to get on board.

No comments: