Saturday, May 8, 2010

Communications

My official title here at Westhill is Coordinator of Worship Arts and Communications.

The first part of that, "Coordinator of Worship Arts" is to focus on our Sunday mornings.  How can we do things better?  More creatively?  In a way that makes sense to visitors?  From the planning of each hour to the visuals with each series, to the communicating between the different individuals and teams, I see my role as being to help clear the way for our church's message of God's love and truth come through in this 'main event' of our programming.  Which is actually what the communications part is all about, too.  It may help to simplify the job title one of these days to simply "Communications."  This has been a year of understanding what communications is all about, and what that looks like in a church. 

What are we trying to say?  Who are we trying to be?  Sometimes, honestly, finding those answers is as confusing as all the questions that come after: Is our message getting through?  Are there things that we are doing and saying that are confusing the issue?  That are sending a different message than the one we want to be sending?  God is so amazing.  Is that message getting through?  What can we do so people hear that?

This is where I'm at today, 8 months into this role.  It is a whole lot clearer than it was in September, but now I see a whole lot of things I wish I already knew!

I'll leave you today with this post by Kem Meyer, on her Communications Director Job Description.

No comments: