Saturday, December 20, 2008

What I'm Reading

I did a little shopping today. Book shopping. I did have my eyes open for Christmas presents, but mainly it was for me. And you. Here are some of the titles I got plus a few I brought home from the office to tell you about: "The Secret Message of Jesus" by Brian McLaren. I'm guessing this is going to be a closer look at what Jesus actually taught, and possibly how we've missed it or watered it down. "Hope Lives (A Journey of Restoration)" by Amber Van Schooneveld. This is a 5 week journey looking at Poverty and Hope, in which you read a bit 5 days a week and reflect on it. Week one looks at all the things that keep us from caring about poverty, week two looks at what Scripture has to say, week three looks at the issues plaguing the world, week four at prayer, and week 5 at how God created you to be his messenger of hope. I'd love to work through this; I'd love for one of you to show interest and then teach the rest of us what you've learned. "Intercessors Arise" by Debbie Przybelski. This looks good - another one I'd like to work through myself, and would like one of you to work through and pass on your insights. Those are the new ones. Some that we have already that you might be interested in reading are: "Captivating - Unveiling the Mystery of a Woman's Soul" by John and Stasi Eldredge. A good read - hits on a lot of stuff that we need to be reminded of, or taught for the first time. "Dear Church - Letters from a Disillusioned Generation" by Sarah Cunningham. I think many of you will identify with this one. Highlights what it is about church that rubs us the wrong way, but leaves you with hope. Well written. "More Ready Than You Realize - Evangelism as Dance in the Postmodern Matrix" by Brian McLaren. Don't get put off by the title! It's a good book on how sharing your faith should be an ongoing conversation, and how you should be a spiritual friend. This one has a lot of good stuff in it. We've also got Shane Claiborne's "Irresistible Revolution" and Rob Bell's "Sex God." Those are both out, but are good reads, too. "Irresistible Revolution" may just start a fire in you. Let me know if you want to be next on the list for one of these when they come back. What I'm reading right now is "Unchristian" by David Kinnaman and Gabe Lyons. It was a textbook (along with "The Gospel According to Starbucks") for the Gospel and Culture class that Carey held this spring. I missed the class, but wanted to check out the books. Finally getting on that. I borrowed it from the Regina Public Library. (I love the library.) If anyone else is interested in reading it, I could get a copy for us. I think the reason I put off reading it (besides the time factor) was that I was expecting it to be depressing. So far (and I'm not that far in) it seems like it won't just address the stats that show how poorly outsiders think of us, but will identify how we can go about changing those perceptions to being seen as being more ChristLIKE and less Unchristian. I'll try to remember to let you know how it turns out and what I learned.

No comments: